This is a Fisher Porter Weighing Precipitation Gauge. From the serial number I think it was manufactured in 1967.
One of my stations this year is due for an upgrade but recently (and just a few months before we install the shiny new up to date system) the existing precipitation gauge started acting funny. This data is super important to several people: weather nerds (obviously), farmers, the municipality, the fire ban people, etc.
So yesterday my manager helped me dust off and resurect an old one from The Warehouse of Sensors Time Forgot and today I put it in service.
It was really neat to play with the old tech. It’s robust(ish) and it works.
The old Edmonton Municipal Airport is about to become the Blatchford neighbourhood. I don’t really know too many details about that. One side effect of this change was that the old aviation weather system had its power and phone cut off, apparently there’s going to be a lake there.
So, at the beginning of May, we went and temporarily stuck one of our climate stations on the old spot. It runs on solar power and has a cellular modem but it measures slightly different things than the airport system did.
While the temporary set up chugged away we set up for and built the shiny new Edmonton Blatchford weather station. It has all the same sensors as the temporary one but it’s a permanent(ish) set-up and can stay until the city wants the land. The installation took place this week.
Trenching and cables:
Setting up bases for the sensors:
This one will be a snow depth sensor when it’s done.
This is as much of the main panel as I could do inside.
all set. It’s still solar power and cellular modem but it’s capable of being switched to line power quite easily.
Finished! It was even transmitting hourly weather data when we left.
I am currently a delightful shade of what may be described as broiled lobster (yes, through SPF60) and remembering that I’m not 20 and haven’t done any physical labour since before Andy arrived.
It was a good week.. now to tear down all the old stuff..
The Geonor 1/2 built and the Stevenson Screen waiting to be started
My job was to install the all weather precipitation gauge. I did it all by myself except the parts I had help with.
Wednesday I went along to help install the sensors which will make up the new weather station in Ranfurley where we laid the cable last week. There is a bit more to do but we made a lot of progress. This is what it looked like when I left.